Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

frosty princess

Okay, so I started this post on Halloween. And then I got, um, a little distracted.

Cara,

I am an adult who loves to dress up. But I don't always have the occasion to. When I was a kid I really enjoyed getting to put together a costume and dress up. In October 1979 I was Wonder Woman. I remember because my brother was born two days before Halloween. And my mother sat in the basement very pregnant with my little brother sewing a cape for my Wonder Woman costume. The next year I was a princess with a cardboard and tin foil crown and Stephen was "Pierre the French Painter". My mother was very creative if not resourceful. When I was in middle school my best friend, Kym, and I would put on as much make-up and jewelry as we could. Kind of a punk valley girl/Cyndi Lauper/Madonna kind of look.

I guess the love of putting together a costume and going to the extremes with make-up continued into my adulthood. But basically since my brother and I stopped trick or treating my parents stopped handing out candy. A few days ago I told Mom that I wanted to hand out candy this year. Since I had my surgery (10 days ago) I've basically have only seen my family. Today my dad got me a big bag of candy and I waited for the trick or treaters. Now we thought we understood that kids were suppose to start around 4:00 and be off the streets by dark. Which really would be by about 5:00 since the time change. And it's rained off and on all day and I started to expect very little action at our front door. But just-in-case I got really a little before 4 o'clock by putting together something of a costume. I have a tiara that came with the Happy Birthday Barbie that my friend gave me for my 30th birthday a few years back. Then I got heavy handed with some shimmery blue mineral eye shadow. I decided that I was a "Frosty Princess". Maybe the younger sister of Narnia's "White Witch"? Just when I was considering washing my face (especially because my eyes were getting irritated) a steady flow of kiddos began ringing our bell. My favorite were the two fifth grade looking girls (but I may be way off) who were dressed in all black with a little white face paint on who held up cards that said, "TRICK OR TREAT," on the front and, "THANK YOU," on the back. Yes! They were mimes. But the moment that made my night was when nosey Keyara was trying to pop her head around me and a sweet little girl said, "Oh! A snow dog!" I almost melted right there. "Yes," I said, "That's my snow dog. You see, I am a frosty princess." Oh precious. "A snow dog!" That made the burning sensation in my eyes from the make-up worthwhile.

Now tell me about your Trick or Treaters.

Love,
Jennifer

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?