Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

Candy Night, Daylight, and Out of Sight

Dear Jennifer,
I am mildly excited about Halloween today. Yes, just mildly. Let me tell you why:

I don't get into the whole adult dress-up thing. Costume parties . . . eeh. Last year we went to a costume party that was actually quite brilliant . . . The theme was GI Joe & Barbie . . . But even with a clever theme, all i could muster up was a blond wig and my Hawaiian girl costume over my overalls. BUT, to my credit, it was ONE week away from our wedding . . . so I have a little bit of an excuse for being pre-occupied.

NOW, giving out candy to little kids DOES make me very excited. Their cute costumes. Their sweet voices. Giving them treats that will ensue many arguments and power struggles with their parents . . . "Come on, just ONE more piece?!?!?!" Got to love this opportunity! BUT the sad part is, our neighborhood does not have a ton of children.

So, minimum candy giving opportunities + disdain for dressing up = mild excitement. . . Maybe a 4 on a scale of 1-10.

However, I do enjoy fall in general. Switching linens to warmer colors . . . Buying apple cider . . . Yummy smelling candles. I get so wrapped up in the season changes and the holidays because of all of the opportunities to stimulate my senses! Especially taste and smell! Last night, it was a combination of premature Christmas festivity and a little bit of self-pity that moved me to buy my very first egg nog bottle of the season! YUM! LOVE me some egg nog!

The one things I don't care for about season changes is the Fall Daylight savings. It makes me so sad. Goodbye sunlight. Goodbye late nights outside. Hello fleece pajamas by 5:30 pm. Hello melancholy mood. Hello cold evening . . . fleece jackets . . . mittens. Goodbye easy wearin' tank tops and flip flops. Goodbye. See you next May. Honestly, I look forward to Spring Daylight Savings more than my birthday and Groundhogs Day COMBINED! If that doesn't sum it up for you, I don't know what else to say.

About my Hawaiian girl costume . . .

When I was visiting my friend Sarah in Hawaii, I bought a coconut bra, grass skirt, and shell necklace before coming back to Denver. Herb and I were dating and I wanted to make him laugh . . . so i bought the outfit and put it on over my clothes before getting to the meet & greet area at the airport. Funny thing was that i could not find him . . . walked RIGHT past him . . . because he was also dressed up! Incognito! Hat, mustache, wig . . . the works! So much, in fact, that i didn't even notice the flowers he held or the big sign that said "Cara!" on it! Finally, he came and found me and I started laughing! At that moment, I knew for sure that we would get married. A match made in Heaven!

Love,
Cara

PS: i will be sure to provide a tricker treater status update later tonight! i have some tootsie rolls . . . just in case!

Comments:
I loved that story. I think that would be one of *those* moments.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?